College Aces - SNJ Today

featured image

Several Rowan College of South Jersey (RCSJ) students had the unique opportunity to experience life at Princeton University this past summer. Rachel Kostera, Grace Sacco, Angelina Bruner, and Elena Bernard have been selected to participate in the Ivy League school’s Transfer Student Initiative (TSI) pilot.

The RCSJ students were among 40 scholars from seven New Jersey community colleges who participated in the program, which was held from June 26 to August 18. Other higher education institutions participating in the initiative include Camden County, Raritan Valley, and Mercer County Community Colleges.

According to Emily Aronson, Princeton University Office of Communications, “The Student Transfer Initiative is a new partnership between the university and New Jersey community colleges aimed at expanding Princeton’s academic outreach and enhancing outcomes for promising students who are considering transferring to selective four-year programs.”

Aronson added that TSI consists of “an intensive, eight-week program offering tutoring, college counseling, transfer success programs, co-curricular workshops, and mentorship from Princeton faculty, staff, and undergraduates.”

The transfer process can be challenging for students who wish to continue their education at a four-year institution. Broner, Sacco and Kostera shared some thoughts about their time on the show.

“I’ve heard a lot of great things about Princeton,” said Sacco, a sophomore biology major. “It was a beautiful experience, honestly.”

“Taking classes at Princeton was one of the best academic experiences I have ever had,” said Bruner, a sophomore environmental science major. “I had never considered any prestigious universities in my future plans, but this program opened my eyes to a broader list of possibilities.”

RCSJ students noted how they were able to gather copious amounts of information regarding the college transfer process through TSI.

“The biggest takeaway was learning about how to transfer and what it means to be a transfer student,” said Costera, a sophomore chemistry: pre-pharmacy major. “I had to look up [schools I may want to apply to]Social life, acceptance rates, cost, financial aid. “I thought it was a good surprise.”

“The most important thing I learned is how the transfer process works,” Brunner said. “I’m a first-generation student, so I had no idea how to navigate any application process that had to do with colleges.”

“We were required to attend transfer success workshops which gave us an inside look at what colleges expect and prepared us for the application process,” Sacco said. “I used many of the skills I learned in these workshops throughout my time at Princeton and then continued to use them during the fall semester at RCSJ.”

Each student in the initiative was required to commute to university for the duration of the program. The classes offered were a writing seminar and a “laboratory class” taught by Princeton professors.

“Taking these two classes, they are definitely accelerated,” Kostera said. “You really had to put a lot of effort and work into it. You can’t procrastinate because they are very serious about deadlines.

“I took a course in argumentative research and writing. I was surrounded by a diverse group of beautiful minds,” Sacco said. “I also took a course in a molecular biology laboratory. We worked with a few E. coli strains and studied the effects of transformation and cloning.

“We were able to work with advanced laboratory equipment,” Brunner said. “The professors in our quantitative labs and our writing course were very welcoming and eager to help us, which made the program much less stressful than it would have been.”

In addition to learning about the transfer process and earning credits at an Ivy League school, TSI students also gained new perspectives on themselves.

“I think what I’ve learned about myself motivates me to do better,” Kostera said. “Stop procrastinating, and manage time. I had to learn to stop overthinking, and stop worrying about everything.

“I once got lost on campus. It wasn’t fun,” she added. “I had to learn to let it flow, to let it go. If something happens, just accept it. You have to keep moving.”

“One of the things I learned about myself is how much I love political science,” Bruner said. “This interest leads me into research into environmental policy where I will be able to make influential impacts on the environmental policies that govern our approach to climate change and how we work toward a greener, healthier future.”

“Being at Princeton made me realize that I can strive for more, and I can aim higher,” Sacco said. “I can do anything I put my mind to.”

The TSI scholars at RCSJ noted that the program allowed them to take breaks from their studies. “They planned activities for us to relax, chat and get to know each other,” Kostera said.

Some of the activities included touring the campus, mingling with fellow Princeton students and students, enjoying an ice cream social, taking trips off campus to visit local attractions, ax throwing competitions, and more.

“My favorite part of the program was the people I met. All the students in the program were so welcoming and supportive of each other,” Brunner said. “They were the main reason I was able to get through two full months with commuting every day, and all the work. I can say for a fact that there was never a dull moment.

Christina Naas, associate professor of chemistry at RCSJ-Gloucester, selected students to participate in the initiative. According to Nasi, the scholars were selected because they demonstrated “a good work ethic, determination and desire to succeed in their field.”

“Students who have participated in the program have come back with more confidence in their abilities,” said Nasi, who has taught at the college for 13 years. “They are a positive force at the Women in STEM Academy. Together they help create a culture of inclusion on campus.”

The main purpose of the program is to demystify the transfer process and help students get where they want to go. I think these students are now thinking much bigger than their original plans. I don’t think any of them will stop at a bachelor’s degree. They plan to pursue advanced degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

Princeton’s TSI program is “open to all majors and majors,” Nasi said. Any RCSJ student considering transferring to a four-year college/university may apply.

“It was an honor to be at TSI,” Kostera said. “I will always be grateful to be in the first group. I think you have to take a risk to do it, it changes your life.

Sacco said. “I’ve made new friends, and explored new places. I’ve completely fallen in love with Princeton. Before TSI, I didn’t even think about Princeton. Now, I feel inspired to set my sights a little higher. I’m currently working on my transfer application to apply to Princeton for the fall 2024 semester.

For more information about the Princeton Scholars Transfer Initiative, visit tsi-ebcao.princeton.edu. For details about the RCSJ STEM program, visit RCSJ.edu/STEM.

School spirit

As TSI students prepare for the future, they are enjoying the atmosphere at RCSJ as well.

“I am grateful for the time I spent at RCSJ,” said Sacco, who works at the Salad Society Food Truck. “RCSJ brought me back into chemistry and I fell in love with it.”

“I love the campus,” added Costera, who enjoys the music of Lana Del Rey, Taylor Swift and Doja Cat. “all [professor] It was very helpful. Christina Nasi – I love chemistry because of it.

“Going to RCSJ has allowed me and many others to explore many different areas of study or interests which I think is one of the main rewards of starting at a community college,” Brunner said. “It’s always smart to know what your interests are before you waste any time or money, and attending RCSJ was a great way for me to do that.”


College Aces is an exciting new program brought to you by SNJ Today that focuses on celebrating and highlighting the academic achievements of students across South Jersey. We are dedicated to showcasing the hard work and dedication that these students have put into excelling in their studies, as well as the positive impact their accomplishments have on their communities. Through College Aces, we aim to inspire and motivate other students to strive for academic success and pursue their educational goals. Join us as we shine a spotlight on the bright minds and promising futures of the next generation of leaders in South Jersey.

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact