Will Tiger Woods win again on the PGA Tour? What to expect in 2024 after the start of the PNC Championship | Golf News

featured image

Tiger Woods last played a full PGA Tour schedule in 2019 but is targeting a “monthly tournament” in 2024; The 15-time major champion competed in the Hero World Challenge and PNC Championships to cap off another injury-plagued year


23:32 UK time, Sunday 17 December 2023

Tiger Woods has set his sights on challenging for a record-breaking 83rd PGA Tour title in 2024 after seeing signs of encouragement in his two comeback matches this month.

Woods finished 18th at the Hero World Challenge, his first start since undergoing ankle surgery after withdrawing from The Masters in April, and then partnered with his son Charlie for a fifth-place finish at the PNC Championship.

The 47-year-old said earlier this month that he is targeting “a tournament every month” next season, having played just four major tournaments and one overall PGA Tour event since suffering career-threatening leg and ankle injuries in a car crash in February. . 2021, Woods remains confident of increasing his winning tally.

Tiger Woods talks about playing alongside his 14-year-old son Charlie in the PNC Championship.

“I think that due to the fact that I’m able to practice and do the things that I know I can do and prepare for them, I know that I can still do it.” [win]“I can still hit a golf ball,” Woods said.

“It’s just a matter of preparation and getting enough repetitions and getting enough work and being physically healthy and endurance-wise. My legs weren’t good enough where I was able to compete and play a lot.” I’ve done a lot of operations over the years, and this is just part of it.

“I know if I can practice, I know I can still do it. I can still hit a golf ball. I can still hit the ball. I can still putt. It’s definitely also putting it all together in 72 holes. That’s the part It’s hard who is he-she.”



picture:
Tiger Woods finished fifth alongside his son Charlie at the PNC Championship

How does Woods’ body feel?

Woods said before the Hero World Challenge that he had not felt any pain in his ankle since fusion surgery in April but felt discomfort in other areas, although he insisted after the PNC Championship that he felt physically better than he did when he returned at the Genesis Invitational. Earlier this year.

“I think a lot of things hurt a lot more than my ankle, and that’s just the way it goes,” Woods explained. “I will be able to walk and play. We trained hard, and we were able to recover. We trained every day, which is great.

Tiger Woods teamed up with his son Charlie at the PNC Championship as he bested his father on the first day of the tournament

“It was good to shake off a lot of the rust and some doubts I had because quite frankly I haven’t had a shot given for a long time. So I got to score a goal and get shots on target. The right number, the successful shots, it was great.”

“My ankle wasn’t very good at the time [Riviera in February] Recovery was much more difficult. But we trained every day. After the Bahamas, we were at the gym on Monday. So we were going after that.

Highlights from Day 4 of the Hero World Challenge, with Scottie Scheffler victorious and Tiger Woods finishing 18th

“The ankle was good because it’s fused now but the other parts were definitely sore. But the fact that, you know, we were able to get to practice right away and get after him and start hitting balls, was encouraging.”

Could Woods miss a major?

We expect to see Woods return to Augusta National April 11-14 to chase a record-equalling sixth Green Jacket, while the PGA Championship takes place May 16-19 at Valhalla – the venue where Woods lifted the Wanamaker Trophy in 2000. Part of “Tiger Slam.”

He holds a lifetime exemption to both events as a former winner and can also compete in The Open until he is 60, having lifted the Claret Jug three times, although he does not currently hold an automatic qualification to the US Open.

Tiger Woods reveals his plan to return to regular appearances on the PGA Tour ahead of his return to action at the Hero World Challenge

Woods has missed the past three editions of the US Open, but will want to participate in this year’s competition at Pinehurst from June 13-16, although his five-year exemption to win the Masters in 2019 has now expired and could leave him dependent. On a special exemption from the USGA to play.

“I don’t know,” Woods admitted about his U.S. Open status. “I don’t know what happened or what Jack [Nicklaus]what happened during his career, or Tom [Watson] Or anyone else.



picture:
Could Tiger Woods play a busier PGA Tour schedule in 2024?

“So far, no, I’m not participating. Whether or not I have to formally ask them, or they invite me, or they give me a waiver or I have to be eligible, you know, who knows. I don’t know.” “I don’t know what the process is.”

What then?

The 2024 PGA Tour season kicks off with The Sentry from January 4-7, held at the Plantation Course in Kapalua, Hawaii and broadcast live on Sky Sports Golf. Woods has not yet announced his next competitive start, but he said that playing a tournament “every month” is a realistic goal next year.

Watch the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and all the major championships in 2024 live and exclusively on Sky Sports. Stream the PGA Tour, DP World Tour, LPGA Tour and more with a NOW Sports Month membership – just £21 per month for six months.

Tiger Woods’s return to competitive golf has been one of the most anticipated comebacks in recent sports history. After a successful showing at the PNC Championship alongside his son, many golf fans are wondering if Woods has what it takes to win again on the PGA Tour. As we look ahead to 2024, the question on everyone’s mind is whether or not Woods will continue to compete at the highest level and potentially add to his already impressive list of victories. With his recent performance and renewed focus on his game, there is much excitement and speculation surrounding what the future holds for Tiger Woods in the world of golf.

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact