Todd Golden: On a mission to see the best college basketball players | University sports

featured image

BLOOMINGTON — I had an assignment on Saturday if I decided to take it.

Indiana State was at the heart of the college basketball world. At lunchtime, Indiana hosted No. 2 Kansas in my backyard in Bloomington. Fifty miles away in the late afternoon, No. 1 Arizona and No. 3 Purdue competed in the Indy Classic inside Gainbridge Fieldhouse in downtown Indianapolis.

Two great games, top three teams in the country. How many people watched the top three teams in the country in an afternoon?

The spirit was more than willing, but like the “Mission: Impossible” episode, there were significant obstacles to overcome.

The most obvious is the 50-mile drive from Bloomington to Indianapolis. The Indiana game will tip off around 3 p.m. Purdue and Arizona will tip off at 4:30 p.m. executable? Well, about that…

Although the highway is 69 inches toward completion between the two cities, it is currently 50 miles of poor road. There are at least three construction zones before you reach the gridlock zone at the Harding Avenue/I-465 exit.

I learned that I-465 will be demolished to one eastbound lane and several ramps will be closed. This is important because…

The Purdue-Arizona game kicked off at about the same time as the Indianapolis Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium. The normal way to get downtown from Bloomington meant commuting on the west side of downtown, which didn’t work. Normally a viable alternate route would be I-465 East to I-65 North, but that was an orange cone out of the picture. what should be done?

Finally, I had to ask myself, Am I doing an injustice in both games by rushing to deal with the state?

Did I take a vacation from my senses? Of course it was worth it. Now if only I could conjure up a plan crazy enough to make it happen.

Do the preparatory work. Don’t be a beginner. Gas the night before. have a snack. You can’t rely on free food in places these days. Traffic reports and Google Maps, learn it, know it, live it.

Confirm accreditation in indy? Checks. Media positions? How do I look? An amateur? Close.

I had wheat flakes to munch on and an emergency tart just in case. I got my favorite non-caffeinated regular Dr. Pepper drink (never on a diet) in the gold can for this trip.

Not available in Indiana, I had stocked it up “Smokey And The Bandit” style on the drive back from Atlanta the week before. Eastwood had a cowboy hat. I got my gold box from DP. Open it up, pour one into a Yeti mug and enjoy a sip of victory later when it all comes off without a hitch.

Mounts. Let’s go on a college basketball adventure.

• A treat I didn’t know about until the night before was that my daughter would be performing as part of the pre-game festivities. She’s a member of the IU Marching Hundred and the pep band, which I don’t write about much in this space, but I’m not shy about showing it off on my social media accounts. A sold-out Assembly Hall, with a candy-strewn theme, and my daughter there on the floor hyping up the crowds? I am a lucky father.

• Geoffrey Osborne. What? The 70s artist with the band LTD and the 80s R&B solo singer performed the national anthem. We all knew this game was going to raise the roof, but who knew it would be “On The Wings Of Love?”

• The conference room is a very strange place. I have never designed a building quite like it, with its tall, tall aesthetic. On lighter gaming days, the design can drag the atmosphere down, but not when it’s full. This was a full-throated, eardrum-piercing cauldron. Who would have it any other way?

• For most of the game, IU fans were dreaming of storming the field and slaying another legendary dragon in Assembly Hall. Unfortunately, Indiana was a game of 12 of 15 innings. The Hoosiers fell behind late and were unable to recover. Indiana fell short of the upset with a 75-71 defeat.

• No time to slow down. As quickly as I could, I wheeled him to my car. I weaved my way around traffic onto I-69. To paraphrase ZZ Top, “I was rolling down the road wearing some cold blue steel. I had a pepper in the back and a thin piece of wheat for a meal.”

• I kept repeating the phrase “Bluff-Raymond-East-Virginia” like a kind of mantra, as if I wanted to turn my intended plan into action. My plan to get to Indy was to get off I-69 near the busy road at 465 and run to Bluff Road, the original Indiana Route 37. Bluff Road to Raymond Street to East Street to Virginia Street, media site. Parking lot. Make it so.

• You know that idiot who doesn’t get into a construction zone until the last minute? The one who cuts off people who have moved on when they’re supposed to? Normally, that’s not me, but Saturday? Guilty as charged. Sorry, not sorry, I’m on a mission, well, not from God, but just ride with me.

• Bluff-Raymond-East-Virginia—Smooth. No pony traffic, no chaos, no fuss. Transfer to the media parking lot took place at 4:15. I go by feeling safe. until …

• There was no media statement when I was contacted. This was the moment Clark Griswold arrived in Wally World. Where’s that moose to hit? All this planning. A fluffy lunch of wheat and a Pop-Tart dessert—and for what?

I kept my wits about me and the representative in charge asked to confirm my email for the credentials I had. It was just a little mix-up that happened from time to time. He made me a pass, and I was fine.

• I walked into the Fieldhouse, passing the Purdue team sprawled out in the lobby on the way, and I started smiling, knowing I had made it. There was still 1:43 minutes before tip-off. victory. We all have our own victories. Enjoy in my country.

• Oh, the little issue of #1 vs. #3? Both teams deserved this occasion. Purdue is basically unbeatable when Fletcher Lower and Braden Smith contribute as they did with 53 points combined.

However, Arizona still made the Boilermakers sweat before Purdue pulled away late for a 94-82 win. The atmosphere inside the Fieldhouse was electric. Seeing the top three teams in one day? I’m still riding the adrenaline rush.

• After I finished writing in the field house, I floated through the raindrops back to my car. I poured that Dr. Pepper into my Yeti and took that sip. It tasted good.

My college basketball cup is over. What a glorious and unforgettable day of hoops.


As one of the youngest head coaches in college basketball, Todd Golden is on a mission to scout and recruit the best talent for his team. With a relentless passion for the game and a keen eye for potential, Golden has made it his mission to seek out the top college basketball players and bring them to his university. With a dedication to developing strong, competitive teams, Golden’s focus on scouting and recruiting is vital to the success of his program. As he continues to seek out the best of the best, Golden’s mission is clear: to build a powerhouse team that can dominate on the court.

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact