Man, the PlayStation exclusive Ultros really blew my mind

featured image

With a mercilessly busy 2023 approaching, you’d think I’d be ready to take a break from video games. And trust me, I still can’t help but look forward to what’s on the horizon in 2024. I already know that games like Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth And Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth It’s bound to consume me, but there’s an indie game I’ve got my eye on in particular: Ultras. The super stylish Metroidvania game made a strong impression on me at May’s PlayStation Showcase. This is largely thanks to its stunning visual style that’s unlike anything you’ve seen in a video game before.

while Ultras Given the look, I wasn’t sure how it would actually play. I finally got a feel for it during a comprehensive 90-minute demo. The part I played would give me a sense of the deceptively deep combat, the weird ball farming element, and the amazing roguelike structure. It was a complex snippet of gameplay that I couldn’t fully understand by the end, but that leaves me even more curious about the final product.

The cycle continues

At first glance, Ultras It seems like an obvious game. It feels like a 2D Metroidvania game where players rush through a maze-like map and collect power-ups. Within minutes, I realized I understood the entire gameplay loop. This was good for me, because it gave me more time to immerse myself in his wild art style, which makes it truly unique. Each room is a psychedelic mix of colors that resembles a Grateful Dead poster. All the graphic detail can make it difficult to navigate, but I loved making my way through all of its strange, sticky locations rich with vibrant plants.

Hot Deal:

The more you play, the more you realize this Ultras It’s not just a regular Metroidvania game with a weird art style. It features a wide range of gameplay systems that I’ve never seen before in this type of game. The most important of which is its roguelike structure. At certain moments in the story, players start from the beginning. Any upgrades they have earned are erased, although progress remains in the map. I experienced two full episodes during my demo, and both ended when I killed the shaman.

Kepler Interactive

Admittedly, the cycle concept is difficult to parse. After my first run, I found myself a bit annoyed when I realized I had to backtrack through several screens I’d already explored to retrieve the double jump upgrade and travel to a new area from there. Ultras It also features a massive skill tree that unlocks game-changing combat and traversal mechanics – and is cleared in a new cycle. Fortunately, there is a currency to permanently lock skills, but I can see where collecting enough materials to unlock the same skills over and over again could become a hindrance.

Although I have questions about this system, the demo gave me a glimpse into some of the creative ways it is implemented. For example, Ultras It includes an amazing farming element where players can drop seeds in certain places while running. I had no idea what happened when I planted my first plant, but when I returned to the soil for my second rotation, I found that the plant was now tall enough to get me to a platform that was previously inaccessible. The more I play the endgame with time-shifting ideas like this, the more I expect to click the spins.

What’s less of a question mark is the Metroidvania’s core gameplay, which is off to a solid start. particularly, UltrasThe hack-and-slash combat seems to have a lot of depth. It starts out with some basic attacks and sliding to dodge enemies, but quickly expands with different maneuvers unlocked through the skill tree. There are two distinct hooks. The first is that combat encounters are rated higher due to more moves being used. The other is that there is an emphasis on “juggling”, where players can hit an enemy in the air to knock out another. The more you learn from this system, the more you’ll click with it Ultras. She enjoys elegant self-expression in a 3D action game Hi Fi Rush, but it translates it admirably into a 2D context. I’d make the most of this on a tough boss encounter that had me standing on the back of a monster and unleashing as many moves as I could to maximize my damage.

Kepler Interactive

This system pairs with the traditional platforming you’d expect from this type. One standout scene has me sneaking into a series of rooms by climbing up a massive sword that steadily pierces the ground. It’s not a fantasy game, but the cheerful visual style makes the basic gameplay feel weird. That should go a long way toward making Ultras It feels special even when it sticks to the Metroidvania beats.

After 90 minutes, I still didn’t really know what to expect Ultras – And I’m happy. This level of ambiguity is exactly what made me enjoy the indie game in the first place, so I’d be a little disappointed if I walked away from it all feeling like I was playing it safe. I’m looking forward to seeing how many layers the whimsical title has, even if they’re not all winners.

Ultras It will be released on February 13, 2024 for PC, PlayStation 4, and PS5.

Editors’ recommendations






The PlayStation exclusive Ultros has completely blown my mind with its stunning graphics, immersive gameplay, and captivating storyline. As a dedicated fan of the gaming world, I have been highly impressed by the level of detail and creativity that has gone into creating this exclusive title. From the moment I first picked up the controller, I was immediately drawn into the rich and imaginative world of Ultros, and I simply cannot get enough of it. This game has truly raised the bar for what I expect from a PlayStation exclusive, and I am eager to share my thoughts and experiences with fellow gamers.

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact