How to Get a High-Paying Job Without a College Degree: Test 28 Jobs

featured image

Ethan Clutterbaugh started earning a six-figure salary after his 28th job and currently holds 31 different jobs.
Ari Hawk

  • Ethan Clatterbaugh, 32, has changed jobs frequently since he first babysat when he was 15.
  • Without a college degree, he built a career path through extensive experiences and certifications.
  • Receiving treatment for ADHD and narcolepsy also helped him accelerate his career.

This article is based on a conversation with Ethan Clutterbaugh, a 32-year-old technical product manager from Golden, Colorado about his six-figure career journey. It has been edited for length and clarity.

In my current role, I’m a Technical Product Manager at Forbright Bank, earning $198,000 per year plus a performance bonus. Since I work a corporate job and make good money, people might assume I took a fairly typical path to get here: four-year college, summer internship, and working my way up the ladder. But they would be wrong.

My career path has been anything but typical. I dropped out of college after one semester due to undiagnosed and untreated ADHD and narcolepsy. Before my 28th birthday, I had held 28 jobs. I’m now 32 years old, still without a college degree, and currently in my 31st job.

My winding, degree-free career path has become increasingly popular among people in their 20s and 30s, in part because Job hopping usually results in more money. But also, getting a college degree is not the only way to build a stable career if you are able to form real relationships with people along your career journey.

What I’ve learned from all of these jobs is that each one of them played a role in my success. As long as I kept moving forward, unashamedly accepting my circumstances, and asking people for help along the way, I was preparing myself for the day when a wonderful opportunity would present itself.

Below I’ve collected the key lessons from every industry I’ve worked in. I hope they can help anyone on a non-traditional career path find the same confidence and success.

Working in catering has taught me empathy and curiosity

I have held 13 jobs in food service and worked in the industry primarily between the ages of 17 and 26. I got my first paycheck for ice cream at a local ice cream parlor and saved enough to buy my first car when I was 18 and 19 working in a supermarket. In my early to mid-20s, I hung out at a few restaurants making between $2.13 and $25 an hour.

I’ve learned many life lessons from customers who have spoken to me over a meal or at the bar, but I’ve learned just as much from my co-workers, who come from all walks of life. Many of them told me that they had never planned on this type of work and that they would “give out” one day. Knowing their backstories reinforced the value of empathy and curiosity for everyone I meet. We were all just trying to save up and find the next opportunity.

I will end up bringing this sense of empathy with me to every future leadership position in which I manage other employees. I consider it one of my greatest superpowers.

Every job had value because I was always learning

In between food service jobs that didn’t quite work out, I would find myself taking on odd jobs for months to a year. I have worked eight diverse jobs throughout my life. When I was 19, I was stocking the shelves at my local library. When I was 22, I worked as a call center representative at TD Bank before landing a job at a small park in my hometown. Later, I was working at the front desk at the gym, supervising storage facilities, and coordinating assignments for substitute teachers.

Was this the most intellectually stimulating work? No, but every job still has value. I knew it probably wouldn’t lead to anything better, and I wouldn’t stay there forever, so the best I could do was be as good at the job as possible. I never allowed myself to think that any of the jobs were inappropriate, or below me in some way. When they were particularly boring or difficult, I would overcome them by focusing on the skills I was learning.

Since these jobs were low-paying, I considered the lessons to be part of my compensation. This means that if a job stops helping me grow, I take that as a pay cut and will move on to the next job.

I still use sales techniques in my current job

It’s true what they say: everything in life is sales. I learned this firsthand through the five retail jobs I worked in my early and late 20s. I’ve worked at an Apple store, a Honda dealership, a roofing company, a Playstation, and a Best Buy. Each of them showed me a different side of sales, but the basic truth is that sales is not about persuasion; It’s about listening and understanding.

At Best Buy and Apple, I’ve lost count of the number of times people have come in asking for this Hot new deviceJust to ask them why they want it. If they just want shiny product status, great! I let them choose what they wanted. But often, it took asking the right questions to show them how the exciting new thing might not meet their needs.

I use these techniques in my current job all the time. I listen to my coworkers and bosses so I can ask the right questions about why one decision is better than another. I work in product management, but I still “sell” people’s ideas every day.

After 10 years, I got my first full-time job with benefits

I didn’t get health insurance until I was 28 through a full-time offer at a solar manufacturer – a role that started as a contract position managing solar installation sites. I initially got the job through someone I met at a concert. I’ve always been interested in solar energy, so this seemed like a real step up from my previous job – selling solar panels for Tesla – rather than just another side step.

Working full time was also huge because it meant I could receive treatment for my ADHD. Before, focusing seemed like a daunting task. After treatment, I was finally able to focus enough to study for certification courses and move up in the industry.

With these certifications, I began qualifying for higher-paying full-time roles. (I’m currently on my fifth solar cycle in a row.) However, it wasn’t ideal. For days, I fell asleep at my desk — and on more than one occasion, I took a nap under my desk. When I was 30, I had a sleep study done and discovered I had narcolepsy, which I now take medication to treat.

Once I was able to stay awake for long periods of time and stay focused, my productivity skyrocketed. I was able to hone my technical skills and became more valuable as a candidate. My salary jumped from $50,000 to $77,000 to $117,000. Recruiters are now starting to call I. Pursuing one of these offers is what led to my current role, where I make over $200,000 including my bonus at a bank that specializes in financing sustainability efforts.

I have finally found my calling

Finally, it feels like I’ve arrived. I’m no longer “on the road” like I was in many other jobs. In those roles, I was looking for meaningful work with the experience, qualifications and level of focus I could offer. With the right treatment, provided by health insurance, I can work at the level I need to, in order to maintain my excellence.

The three main takeaways from these two dozen posts are to connect with people, keep moving forward, and stay open and curious.

Often times, we try to endure hardships alone. But almost everyone she asked for help gave it. Contacts led to introductions, which led to new jobs. Of course, no one’s career journey will be the same. What I hope people take away from me is the fact that there are lessons every step of the way. The lessons I learned from my job were always helpful to me, but not in the ways I expected.

In today’s competitive job market, many people are seeking high-paying opportunities without the burden of a college degree. With the increasing demand for skilled workers in various industries, there are several job options available for those who possess the necessary skills and expertise. In this article, we will explore 28 different high-paying jobs that do not require a college degree, providing valuable insights into the potential career paths for individuals without a traditional higher education. Whether you are considering a career change or simply looking to enter the workforce without pursuing a degree, these job opportunities offer lucrative earning potential and a pathway to success.

Previous Post Next Post

Formulaire de contact